The Nisqually tribe arrived in the area at least 5700 years ago, subsisting on shellfish from the beaches and salmon from Sequalitchew Creek. Captain George Vancouver mapped the area in 1792, and in 1833, the Hudson's Bay Company established a fur trading post at Fort Nisqually. The fort was relocated upstream in 1843.
The first school in the area was the Nisqually Methodist Mission school, which operated from 1840 through 1842. Chloe A. Clark was appointed teacher at the mission school. The first public school was established in 1852, and in 1869, the federal government auctioned the site off to settlers. In 1906, DuPont purchased a 5-square-mile (13 km2) area for construction of an explosives plant. By 1909, the company town had more than 100 houses.
DuPont was officially incorporated on March 26, 1912, and was re-incorporated in 1951. DuPont has recently undergone a modern transformation as the modern planned community of "Northwest Landing" has been realized [source: Wikipedia]
Disclaimer: The information contained in this listing has not been verified by RE/MAX Realty South and should be verified by the buyer.
The database information herein is provided from and copyrighted by the Northwest Multiple Listing Service (NWMLS). NWMLS data may not be reproduced or redistributed and is only for people viewing this site. Listings that feature the "three tree" icon are provided courtesy of NWMLS. All information provided is deemed reliable but is not guaranteed and should be independently verified. All properties are subject to prior sale or withdrawal. All rights are reserved by copyright.
Copyright 2018 Northwest Multiple Listing Service. All rights reserved.